Minds in motion!

It’s nearly the end of the first In the Zone week and there’s lots to report!

We kicked off the first live chats in both zones with students from Rhyl High School, St Marks High School and Westfield Primary School. In the Secondary Zone students quizzed the scientists on the weird and wonderful, from the science of armpit hair to why we get cramps. And in the Primary Zone students were keen to find out how scientist Gary Brickley uses vinegar and bicarbonate soda to make bottle rockets.

Minds in motion! Photo credit: Alejandro Zorrilal Cruz

One teacher said after a live chat:

“It was fantastic! The children loved it! We’re all still buzzing!”

Outside of live chats, students have been busy asking the scientists nearly 300 questions. Some of the best mind and body in motion questions in the Secondary Zone include:

What muscle in your body is used most frequently?

How do athletes calm down before competitions?

And Primary Zone students have also been finding out that scientists make mistakes too!

Next week, the same scientists will be in the Primary Zone and a brand new set of scientists will be in the Secondary Zone. Here’s what they do:

• Mark Uphill, Lecturer, Canterbury Christ Church University: Butterflies, knots and fire in the belly; my research explores athletes’ emotions during competition and the extent to which their emotions may help or hinder sport performance.
  • Kate Davies, PhD Student, Cardiff Metropolitan University: With a changing climate my work will be investigating how new artificial turf could have an effect on athletes performance and injury potential.
  • Yue Zheng, PhD Student, University of Cambridge: I research looking into novel causes of inflammation aspect of atherosclerosis.
  • Tess Newman, PhD Student, University of Bath: I look at ways to create new living body tissue, such as bone, outside of the body, so that it can be implanted into people who need it.

There are now 37 live chats booked and they keep coming! We’ve still got lots of spaces for chats so teachers book your live chats soon to ensure your students get to talk to the In the Zone scientists.

Posted on April 27, 2012 by in News. Leave a comment